Colombia is becoming an important market for business, a market that is growing every day, and with the promise to improve even more now, after the peace treaty signed between the democratic government and the leftist guerrilla.
Trademark registration has become a must do for both local and foreign companies that are investing in Colombia, and now, the new laws are giving trademark owners more, clear rights, and are making easier the trademark enforcement. Brand owners can choose between civil cases, criminal cases, or both at the same time.
In Colombia, the owner of the trademark is the one who gets its registry and, the smart thing to do, is, of course, be the first one to register it.
- The Trademark process can take between 6 to 12 months; sometimes even more if too many oppositions are presented.
- The trademark office in Colombia is Superintendencia de Industria y Comercio.
- You can make all the process online. Colombia is very advanced in the field of digitalized government, yet international owners shall hire a Colombian attorney.
The registration process
1. Trademark registration study: This can be done by an Intelectual Property Law attorney. He/she will give you a legal concept about the trademark registration success possibilities.
2. Trademark application: Your attorney will submit all the necessary paperwork thru the website.
3. Form study: The trademark office will objections all the paperwork. If something's missing or does not comply with the law, then, they will ask you to meet.
4. Trademark publication: In the Official Gazette
5. Oppositions: During the publication time (30 business days), third people can file oppositions against the trademark. Your lawyer should answer those objections in time.
6. Final Resolution. The trademark office will grant or deny your trademark.
As you can see, the trademark registration process is very standard. Simple steps that you'll need to follow closely. Beware: if you fail to comply within a given time, you will lose your money AND the priority.
We can help with your trademark registration. Speak with a Colombian Intelectual Property Attorney about the process. We do not charge for this initial appointment.
Enter your text here...